Following the drama in a park in Edinburgh, a Scottish animal charity began an appeal for information.
The Scottish SPCA fears the pellets containing rat poison were deliberately placed in Dovecot Park with the intention of injuring or killing family pets.
Believed to have happened on Wednesday June 22, the dog is now thought to have made a full recovery thanks to a quick thinking response from the owner.
The charity is warning owners to be vigilant and report any substances that they believe to be toxic, or calling on anyone who has any information to come forward and help with their investigation.
Stuart Murray, Scottish SPCA inspector, said: “This is very concerning and the dog in question was very lucky to come away from the incident unharmed.
“The poison is in the form of pink pellets which we believe to be rat poison.
“Using poison, or any dangerous item, with the intent of deliberately harming animals is a crime and is enforceable by law.
“We would urge all pet owners in the area to be vigilant.
“If anyone has any information about this case or that toxic substances are being deliberately used against animals, then we would urge them to contact our confidential animal helpline on 03000 999 999.”
Another dog was rushed to a vets in East Ayrshire after eating a hot dog laced with rat poison.
The dog was said to have started vomiting and became lethargic after chewing the discarded meat left on a popular walking spot by the River Doon.
Pictures show a bag of the hot dog slices which have been cut open with a notable discolouring.
Doon Valley councillor Drew Filson told Ayrshire Live: “It is absolutely disgusting that someone would do this.
“A resident in Patna had to contact me; they were in the main walkway area between the two bridges.