Like final week, the information this week has been dominated by the Canada-India diplomatic stand-off. It began with an “absurd” declare by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau that the Indian authorities was concerned within the killing of Khalistani terrorist Hardeep Singh Nijjar. India has responded sharply as tensions between the 2 nations refuse to thaw.
The National Investigation Agency has been on the forefront of the crackdown towards Khalistani parts within the nation. In the meantime, India is sticking with its no-nonsense diplomacy. Lengthy gone are the times when New Delhi could possibly be pushed round by the West.
In different information, the excitement across the upcoming state elections is rising. Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Chhatisgarh, and Telangana will go to polls by the top of the 12 months. After which will come the large 2024 normal elections. Like our netas, we too are gearing up. Election season is hectic (and tremendous thrilling) within the newsroom. (Extra on that later).
We have a look again on the week that was. We did lots of explaining and listed here are our high picks.
1. Our Particular person of the Week undoubtedly is Dr S Jaishankar. The minister of exterior affairs has been dubbed a diplomatic wizard. We couldn’t agree extra.
Dr Jaishankar proved as soon as once more that he’s fairly the rockstar on the United Nations Basic Meeting and the “Discussion at Council on Foreign Relations” within the US. He went after Canada and the “organised crime” within the nation. Not like Trudeau whose allegations seem largely baseless, the Indian minister spoke about “specifics and information”. In an article titled “How S Jaishankar held up a mirror to the world with tough diplomacy”, we discuss how he has dealt with India’s Russia conundrum deftly and uncovered Western hypocrisy.
2. Speaking about robust acts, how can we not point out Residence Minister Amit Shah? He has been cracking down on infamous non-profits and in the latest transfer has launched new guidelines on international funding underneath the International Contribution Regulation Act (FCRA).
What are the most recent adjustments? How has Shah underneath the steering of Prime Minister Narendra Modi performed an enormous position in amending the FCRA? We break all of it down here.
3. There are extra adjustments on the playing cards. The defence ministry has launched new incapacity pension guidelines for the armed forces. The brand new coverage adjustments the definition of pension, how incapacity pension is calculated, and eligibility standards. Nevertheless, former servicemen aren’t happy. We explain why and draw a comparability with incapacity advantages for defence personnel in different nations.
4. India can be debating on the age of consent. Ought to it’s 18 or 16? The regulation panel has suggested the Centre towards decreasing it underneath the Safety of Youngsters from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act.
Consent comes with its complexities. There are arguments for and towards it. On this explainer, we attempt to simplify the topic.
5. We spoke about elections earlier. It’s going to be a time of mates turning foes and vice-versa. One of many massive break-ups of the 12 months unfolded in Tamil Nadu. The All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) has determined to half from the Bharatiya Janata Social gathering (BJP). The 2 sides got here collectively within the tough interval after J Jayalalithaa’s dying. Nevertheless, it wasn’t meant to be.
The cut up didn’t come as a shock and the person chargeable for it’s Tamil Nadu BJP chief K Annamalai. Who’s the 39-year-old cop-turned-neta and why has he taken centre stage amid the fallout between the 2 events? Let’s take a better look.
6. Lastly, we’ve got a query for you. Do you continue to have Rs 2000 notes saved someplace? Hurry up, the deadline to alternate or deposit them within the financial institution ends at the moment.
No, the notes aren’t being demonetised. They may proceed to be authorized tender however it is possible for you to to conduct transactions with them. Fret not, we’ve received your again. Right here’s what you should do if you’re more likely to miss the deadline.
Pleased Studying. Have an excellent (lengthy) weekend.
PS: In case you like the best way we clarify, catch all our tales here.